Yogis are unstoppable when it comes to stretching their boundaries. This is rooted in the very nature of practicing yoga- a slow and steady art of healing and fitness.
As a yogi, dealing with sensitive knees and joints may turn your practice rather challenging. For instance, it limits your movement, and getting into some poses, such as the Cat/Cow Pose, may be practically impossible and painful.
This is where the best yoga mat for bad knees come to play. One or half-inch yoga mat creates a cushiony surface for your sensitive knees against the floor, leaving you with relief from the nudging knee pain and ultimately a mindful yoga session.
Here is our curated list for a yoga mat for sensitive knees, based on material quality, user experience, and experts’ point of view;
- ProsourceFit Thick Exercise Mat
- Yoga Cloud – Extra Thick 1″ Exercise Mat
- Sivan Health and Fitness 1/2-Inch Mat
- BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose 1/2-Inch Extra Thick Mat
- Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat
- Everyday Essentials 1/2-Inch Extra Thick
- Clever Yoga Mat Non-Slip
Engaging in front of the laptop for long hours makes me feel low. So, to activate my body and soul I love to practice a yoga on regular basis. Practicing yoga requires a comfortable yoga mat.
The yoga mat should be sweat free which doesn’t irritate you while doing various asanas. This makes you feel relaxed and happy. Its an another essential factor is to consider when you are having pain due to bad knees.
Ensure that you purchase the right yoga mat to make you feel comfortable and relaxing. But before running for your next class, let’s dive deeper into details of the best yoga mat for sensitive knees.
Sivan Health and Fitness
Clever Yoga Mat
- ProsourceFit stands among the elite yoga mat and accessory providers available. Whether requiring a new yoga mat for pilates, yoga and gymnastics, ProsourceFit has it all covered.
- Crafted for those with a knee or back injury, this thick foam yoga mat offers extra cushiony thickness to support your joints.
- It is made from a resistant vinyl surface that also boasts tear resistant features.
- It also presents scientifically backed elasticity to ensure a springy surface and joint support.
- For additional convenience, it is designed with a Tri-fold facility with two carrying handles. This feature not only makes your mat handling as easy as a modest handbag; this feature also ensures maintaining the spongy feel of the surface, whereas the bounciness of the roll-up mats may get affected by repeated trundling.
- High density is the main feature of Yoga cloud mat designs, made with a full one inch thickness that covers your knees from surface pressure.
- The company’s motto for their extra thick yoga mat edition is “There’s nothing like life in the clouds!”, hinting to its extra bounciness as well as slip proof technology.
- They have even taken a step further to address sweaty palm-related issues by moisture resistance technology for maximizing control.
- The last aspect is specially highlighted for hot yoga practitioners- as an ultimate remedy to injured knees and joints.
- Alongside the ideal yoga mat thickness and texture, their selections offer larger width and length to provide enough room for physiotherapy sessions and special yoga poses for injured and weak knees.
- Usability of the one inch thick yoga cloud mat goes beyond yoga classes, with multipurpose features. It is a perfect fit for outdoor yoga on uneven surfaces, or recreational uses such as camping, or covering children’s rooms for a well-padded play area safety
- Among the top ten yoga mats and another one of our favorite picks for knee padding for yoga, include; the extra large and thick mats, manufactured by the well-reputed Sivan Health and Fitness company.
- The ½ half inch thickness is enhanced further by incorporating modern technology that ensures a slip free surface and springy texture for those suffering from weak knees and joints.
- While maintaining a spongy feel, the engineered texture of the and its ribbed surface guarantees a great grip while flowing into challenging yoga poses.
- According to Sivan yoga mat reviews, it features tear resistance and great durability during practice sessions for yoga, pilates, martial art and several other athletes’ testimonies.
- Additionally, they offer some of the most gorgeous color editions for style-conscious yoga practitioners. Instead of the usual electric hues, they come in mat black, fine teal, carbon gray, and dusty pink.
- Slipping off the yoga mat with an injured knee means nothing but more throbbing pain. GoYoga mats are designed with extra surface area to embrace this issue.
- Moreover, the size factor makes this brand stand true to its name, as an “all purpose yoga mat” for presenting a cushiony ground for extreme yoga poses and people of all sizes.
- GoYoga is surely not the thicket mat available in the market. However, as an extra padded yoga mat, it provides enough bounciness to protect your hypersensitive knees.
- Expansive surface is integrated with premium material that ensures slip resilience and optimum balance while stretching your equilibrium boundaries.
- In addition to delivering density and technology- backed features, the company has added a last touch for a delightful yoga experience.
- They provide a variety of lively colors, anything from the rainbow range of red to purple and black.
- Gaiam yoga mat is a classic, suitable for almost any exercise use; from simply covering a studio floor to practices that call for extra cushioned surfaces.
- With 2/5 inches thickness, this mat remains the thinnest option on our list, yet with an exceptional ability to protect those hypersensitive knees; offering an ideal yoga mat thickness.
- The ribbed surface safeguard a slip-free practice while the base PVC material itself contributes a high surface tension to sidestep the most usual slip injuries.
- What makes this mat stand in the limelight for gravid yogis and children’s playground padding options is; the non-toxic and eco-suitability of its material. Made from 6p free PVC base components, the manufacturers have cut back on a handful of common noxious particles, found wildly in PVC made yoga mats.
- Therefore, Gaiam Essentials Thick Yoga Mat is often the go-for choice of the planet-conscious yogis and mothers caring for their youngsters’ general long term well-being.
- For injured knees, wrists and backs, extra padding is the key to stipulate a safe and painless yoga practice. Everyday Essential Thick Yoga mat is an all-round practice mat with special attention on weak knees.
- To start with, their mats’ surface area is larger than the traditional mat to provide freedom of movement and catering for people of size.
- Ridged on both edges, each side is enhanced with no slip feature and can be used interchangeably. This factor also maximizes traction and slip resilience, even for the most advanced equilibrium poses.
- PVC material ensures stickiness as well as moisture resistance, nominating this mat as the favorite yoga mat for hot yoga and hot yoga practices, and furthermore, sweaty palms and enhanced washability of the pads.
- As an extra thick yoga mat 1/2 inch, the high density of the mat’s material increases the padding against hard surfaces to amplify the protection for knee injuries- sided with the exceptionally useful knee cushion for yoga that comes with the original mat purchase.
- “Thick but lightweight” is the designer motto of Clever Yoga Mats, reinforced by no slip technology.
- According to the user’s experience, this yoga mat offers extra protection against the hard flooring surfaces, backed with exceptional padding technology; presenting an optimum beginner yoga mat.
- Designed for multi purpose yoga and increased practices, it provides maximum comfort, with minimum effort. Their design also extends in width, length and thickness to a free faction.
- Several features make the Clever Yoga Mats stand out; most significantly, the material used in manufacturing does not involve the usual PVC and Latex textures. It is made from TPE foam, identified as one of the safest and non-toxic materials for skin exposure.
- Their newly manufactured designs come with a tear-resistance mechanism; these editions are sensitive to heat and call for extra care for maximum durability.
- If maintained well, their customers swear by the mat’s endurance during hot yoga and advanced sessions.
- Known for its exceptional grip and best thickness for a yoga mat, the bottom side is ridged with wavy patterns to secure the mat against the floor and offer an excellent control while practice.
- One of the most outstanding features of purchasing Clever Yoga Mat is their special care for the users.
- If not happy with the product in any case, you can just send it right back and they will be more than happy to replace it.
Buying Guide: Best Yoga Mat for Bad Knees
Importance of the knee care
Our knees function as the key mobility center in our lower body. Whether the knee condition is prevailing from a childhood injury and you have now turned to the holistic approach of restoring your knee with yoga practice, or already an experienced yogi with a painful reminder of practice gone wrong- your knee sensitivity during yoga practice must be addressed.
Otherwise, your knee may cause you further complications such as pain, prolonged discomfort, or in worse cases, joint movability issues that call for extensive physiotherapy treatments or even knee arthroplasty.
Choosing between holistic health measures or future surgery; is yoga good for bad knees?
Whilst yoga itself is a remedy to most physiological issues that modern medication may condemn as complex conditions and unhealable by holistic approaches; most elite yoga practitioners disagree with their opinion and suggest specific yoga for sore knees.
In effect, this topic is regarded as the silver lining between modern medication and holistic wellness approaches.
At Being a Healthy Soul, however, we believe in a balanced approach that considers both. While extreme cases call for the helping hand of biomedicine, in most cases, we trust in the magical power of the human body to regenerate itself- given the key nutritional elements and flexibility of mind and body.
By lifting pressure from the sensitives knees while practicing, providing particular care with knee-related exercise to encourage blood flow and a healthy joint structure, most knee problems are resolved within the frame of yoga sessions- besides adopting a cushioned yoga mat.
This is where choosing an extra padded yoga mat becomes important. Not only does it lift excessive weight pressure from your injured knee, but it also provides a condition to get your body flowing to the heights of healthy existence- and relieve you from an unsubtle knee.
Q. What is the best yoga mat for bad knees?
A yoga mat that is good in thickness is the most preferred yoga mat for bad knees. As the thickness of the mat helps to lower the direct contact of knees with the floor and provide support to your knees.
It provides the non-slippery grip makes you easily balance yourself. The best yoga mat is one that consists of thickness around 1/2 to 1 inch, depending on the level of knee discomfort.
If you are the one who gets lots of sweat while practicing then you must check out the best yoga mat for sweaty hands.
Q.Why do you need a yoga mat for bad knees?
The one who suffers from bad knees means having knee pain during a yoga session. Then you must invest in a yoga mat for better grip, comfort, and support.
If you keep on practicing with bad knees on the same yoga mat then your knee would get worsen more in the future. It’s advice that you should invest in a yoga mat for Breyer’s support and safety.
No matter where you practice if you are practicing at home or yoga classes you must-have a yoga mat that is perfect for the complete session.
The key elements of a yoga mat for injured knees
Finding the best yoga mat for injured knees is essential for your healing process and address your body’s imperative need for exercise. Fortunately, in today’s innovative world of technology, most yoga pads for knees are designed with an extra elevation.
Additionally, they are tailored from microfibers that permit distributing the body’s weight and lift the restraining pressure and pain from the knees. Besides the cushiony feel, the slip resistance feature is a must; unbalanced flowing into a pose or losing balance with a bad knee can just worsen your health state.
Knee pain is the most common cause seen in people that mostly occurs due to injury, stress on the knee area, and age factor. So, to support your knee while practicing yoga you must check for the best yoga mat that supports your knees.
Here is a quick overview of the chief elements to keep in mind when purchasing a thick yoga mat for bad knees;
- Thickness: best yoga mats for bad knees range from 1/4 to 1 inch. However, yoga mats with a thickness of one inch cut the practice pressure on your joint considerably.
Protecting your knees while practicing yoga requires extra care and that you would get when you avoid direct contact of knees on the floor. Thickness is the factor you must choose for a yoga mat as it helps to protect your knees.
It is recommended to go for a 3mm thick yoga mat. But if you are already in pain in your knees that I would be recommended you to go for at least 5mm thick. As it is the perfect thickness to protect your knees.
- Texture: selecting from scientifically backed materials for injuries and physiotherapeutic practices is a way to go. Some mats are specially fabricated to provide a spongy feel to protect delicate knees and joints in general.
Did you ever get a bumpy pattern while sitting on normal mats at home? If yes!! Then let me tell you that you must go with a smooth texture as different patter and ridges on the yoga mat increase the level of stickiness and is not the best option for sensitive knees.
This will create irritation on the joints and you will end up with a bad yoga session. So, it’s best to look for a mat that has a smooth texture and feels soft to the touch.
- Plane surface: some yoga mats including those for ashtanga yoga come with very thin and often rigid and bumpy surfaces. While these patterns are established to enhance the practice and general health by stimulating pressure points on your palms, knees, and feet; they may cause discomfort while dealing with a knee injury. Best yoga mats for injured knees are those with a relatively smooth surface.
- Slip resistance: The best and most comfortable yoga mat is usually fashioned from PVC material. They come with a high traction feature, known as a sticky surface, to minimize chances of slipping- whether from the bottom or top.
Please remember that practiced yogis may not find extra sticky mats a prominent feature for flow and movability. There are great yoga mats for beginners, and vital to avoid further injuries if the practitioner is dealing with a bad joint.
- Cushioned Material: Different brands provide different types of mats. Some good brands have a well-cushioned yoga mat at that time you can compromise thickness depending on the type of material.
This cushioned mat supports your joints and protects them from the floor surface. Being resisted by the floor can push extra pressure on your knees. But the very well cushioned one can act as a barrier between your knees and floor.
This also helps in making different poses of Yogasanas. Balancing on these mats is quite tricky. You can opt for rubber or PVC yoga mat material as it is the best yoga mat you can buy.
Time to pick your yoga mat for bad knees
Careful selection of your yoga mat can take your practice a long way to healing your bad knees. Choosing the wrong mat does not only can make your health matters worse, but it also supports a pointless investment. Our teams of experts have outlined the top seven yoga mats in the market- that yogis with knee hypersensitivity swear by.
Sources: Poses for knees
In a nutshell
- Practicing with a bad knee required extra padding and slip free surface to boost your grip. Some yoga mat companies have gone an extra mile just to cater for the customers affected by knee related issues.
- Thick surfaces are supplemented by small padding options for additional protection. Overall, be mindful of factors such as texture, material, slip resistance, heightened grips and padding thickness.
- These key elements, joined with previous user experience, accompany you to the most suitable yoga mat choice for your own particular needs.
- At Being a Healthy Soul, we aim to gather a like-minded community with a love for overall wellbeing and holistic approaches. Please share your own experience in handling knee weakness while doing yoga and share your suggestion with our yoga-loving family in the comments below.