Yogis often have a reputation as a healthy bunch; in fact, the holistic way of living comes in the package of yoga practice. It starts from breathing practices and increasing awareness of the body- anything from activists that help to boost immunity, or infusing citrus limonum essential oil in the environment.
It naturally responds to what benefits and what defies its natural balance. After a period of practice, this mentality is applied to lifestyle concepts and even to non-tangible concepts such as relationships and environmental approaches. A holistic lifestyle as a yogi is a constant practice that becomes a non-written guidance manual for most yogis. But what about yoga mats?
Reviews on the top Nine Non-Toxic Yoga Mats
Despite having started your yoga journey for many years, or if you are a new member of the yogi communities, the need to get yourself a non-toxic yoga mat remains the same. Before further ado, here are the top nine healthy yoga mats that our experts swear by.
- Plyopic All-In-One Yoga Mat
- Liforme Original Yoga Mat
- AIMERDAY Jute Yoga Mat
- Tranquil Yogi Natural Yoga and Exercise Mat
- JADE YOGA Harmony Yoga Mat
- JADE YOGA Fusion Yoga Mat
- YOGA DESIGN LAB the Combo Yoga Mat
- BASICALLY PERFECT Cork Yoga Mat
- Manduka eKOlite Yoga Mat
As a beginner, the thought of choosing a chemical-free yoga mat may not even pop into the mind at first; people often focus more on more obvious aspects of lifestyle such as organic food and cosmetic product’s chemical contents, taking supplements, or even their clothing fabric.
Choosing a healthy yoga mat may often go unnoticed, even though it holds a huge impact both on the skin receptors that channel the chemicals right down into the blood capillaries, or its environmental footprint- not much akin to the earth-loving mentality of the yogis.
Although before buying a new and organic yoga mat, let’s define what are the materials used in the base material of a yoga mat and what categorizes it as a non-toxic exercise mat.
Plyopic All-In-One Yoga Mat
Liforme Original Yoga Mat
AIMERDAY Jute Yoga Mat
Tranquil Yogi Natural Yoga and Exercise Mat
JADE YOGA Harmony Yoga Mat
JADE YOGA Fusion Yoga Mat
YOGA DESIGN LAB the Combo Yoga Mat
BASICALLY PERFECT Cork Yoga Mat
Manduka eKOlite Yoga Mat
Buying Guide: Best Non-Toxic Yoga mats
Q. What are yoga mats made out of usually; an Introduction on Toxic Yoga Mats
One of the most common ingredients in first-generation yoga mats is PVC, a synthetic polymer plastic and a common yoga mat chemical. It proves highly toxic to humans, especially for pregnant women and children.
Several scientific types of research have proved that constant contact with PVC could result in varied types of cancer. Other sources of harmful substances found in low-grade yoga mats include; Dioxins, Phthalates, and heavy metals. In case of coming in contact with skin or absorbed through breathing, consequences range from hormonal imbalance, mood swings, allergies to cancer.
Choosing a Non-toxic Yoga Mat
The first trait of the original eco yoga mat edition is that they are plastic-free; instead of PVC-based compounds, they use natural and biodegradable alternatives- much benefiting your health and our planet.
The best non-toxic yoga mat often includes a clear product description, showcasing the base material as flax base, jute, Quercus tree bark, hemp, and many other nature-conscious alternatives- in addition to having a recycle tag. Although these mats may stand on the higher side of prices at the market, do not let the extra expenses put you off.
It pays back in the long run by maintaining your health and our duty to make more conscious choices in response to global warming management and reducing environmental footprints.
- Plyopic yoga mat designs are the ultimate definition of elegant functionality. At the first glance, their spectacular designs are great attention-grabbing for stylish yogis.
- However, this yoga mat’s best feature is its non-toxic attributes. It is made from SGS certified materials, controlled by one of the world’s leading certification companies that certify only environmentally friendly products and editions of chemical-free yoga mats.
- Additionally, it is one of the most premium products to keep you from slipping while doing hot yoga or having sweaty hands in the middle of a practice.
- The design has included the latest technology that wicks moisture away from your skin- a huge plus for advanced poses that require undisturbed equilibrium.
- To make things better, the lower side of the mat is enriched with a thin layer of non-toxic rubber to increase surface friction and prevent your yoga mat from sweeping from underneath your feet, or hands for that matter.
- A combination of function and form, Liforme yoga mats are designed with detailed perfection. Starting from the material, it is made from natural rubber and comes with a recyclable tag which adds to its environmentally friendly facets.
- As a non-toxic exercise mat producer, the company also mentions the PVC and the nontoxic, free base material to ensure their eco-conscious buyers of the mat’s innate natural quality.
- Noted as a yoga asana mat, user reviews testify the mats’ durability even for other demanding types of a yoga practice such as power and hot yoga, as well as exceptional grip for maximum balance control.
- Speaking of equilibrium, the mat’s design is charted with the “AlignForMe” scheme; this feature helps to keep in line and enhance posture while practicing.
- The company owners are ardent yoga practitioners themselves, offering this design as a solution to practice complications that they genuinely understand.
- AIMERDAY non-toxic yoga mat carries the essence of India, yoga practice origin, in the most beautiful forms. It is designed with Indian folk art and colored with vibrant hues.
- At the center, it accentuates the holy elephant with intricate details for maximizing its native and stylish look.
- As a naturalistic contribution to the land of yoga, these characteristics cover its base material as well. Named among the most durable yoga mats, it is made from 100% natural jute or durable coconut fiber.
- The company mentions the use of Natural Reversible Organic Jute with a touch of natural rubber to add elasticity. The bottom is rigged with a thin layer of rubber to increase surface traction and prevent slipping.
- In addition to creating a non-toxic yoga mat, it stands as a cushiony natural fiber yoga mat and can be used as a yoga mat for bad knees.
- The surface area is larger than standard mats both in length and width, so you can have a comfortable practice without worrying about stumbling off your yoga throne.
- Technically, anyone with a need for a thick surface for practice can benefit from this including Bikram and Ashtanga Yoga practitioners, children, martial artists, etc.
- To make things more convenient better, it comes with a free carrying strap for ease of carrying.
- The most attractive feature of the Tranquil Yogi edition is its material. The company mentions it is a 100 % natural rubber yoga mat as a tribute to eco-friendly substances.
- One of our favorite PVC free yoga mats, the pure rubber provides one of the most smooth surfaces with a bouncy characteristic to maximize joint protection, skin-supple comfort, and exceptional weight distribution that takes of pressure from your joints- nominating this mat among top choices for yoga mats for bad knees.
- It is designed with moisture resistance technology which makes it one of the top choices for hot yoga and yogis who are prone to extra sweaty hands. Check out the best yoga mat for Sweaty Hands.
- It also offers a convenient carry strap and appears in a variety of vibrant hues for choosing the best color for a yoga mat according to your personal taste.
- Last but not the least, the center is aligned with a vertical line and a lotus flower silhouette. Not only it looks minimalistically beautiful, but it also helps to maintain the alignments.
- Made from pure natural rubber, Jade Yoga mats boast exceptional traction both on the top surface and bottom grip.
- According to customer reviews for the best non-toxic yoga mat, it is one of the most grippy yoga mats, while offering a lightweight while maintaining a thick surface- making it among the top choices for outdoor yogis.
- This plush yoga mat’s surface also suits sensitive joints and practices that may require hitting the ground one or two times.
- Natural rubber mixed with the most recent technologies has brought forth one of the most durable yoga mats in the market that even resist hot yoga sessions.
- The company proudly introduces a non-toxic yoga mat with American-made expert qualities.
- While you may choose this practice mat for many reasons such as grip, attributes of a non PVC yoga mat or its cushiony surface, the company’s most eco-friendly consideration is their compensation to nature by planting over a million trees since its foundation.
- Another exceptional creation from Jade Yoga mat company, this mat is a common ground of a latex-free yoga mat, with an emphasis on its thickness.
- It is particularly designed for nature-loving yogis that care for the holistic lifestyle from personal and social conditions.
- This edition also comes under the category of hundred percent natural rubber yoga mats, the extra thickness nominates this mat for yogis looking for a yoga mat for knee injuries and practicing rather challenging poses.
- Rubber is one of the grippiest materials in the market, offering slip-free and high traction qualities that prevent mid-yoga injuries- best for non-toxic rubber flooring.
- When it comes to sustainability, it follows the company’s code of conduct; natural recyclable and practical by replacing resources; each yoga mat purchase equivalent with a tree planted. Instead of testy remarks about the global warming and loss of rainforests, the yoga mat USA-based company has adopted forward-thinking by growing the trees back one at a time!
- Specifically designed for hot yoga and power yoga categories such as Bikram, and Ashtanga, Yoga Design Lab yoga mats focus on the eco-friendlier aspects of their designs, combined with the most ingenious technologies for moisture-wicking and grip to create the best nonstick yoga mat.
- The company offers three distinct dimensions to choose from based on your requirements and thickness. whether you are looking for a yoga mat with exceptional grip and easy portability, needing a medium thickness for a cushiony feel while remaining lightweight, or seeking extra thick yoga mats for sensitive joints– the Yoga Design Labs is just a click away.
- Based on the eco yoga mat reviews, please note the mat’s base material is questionable for some yogis; it contains a high percentage of natural rubber, but the structure also includes plastic microfibers which are derived from recycled bottles.
- If you are looking for a hundred percent natural option, this yoga mat may not be the best choice for you.
- However, the small percentage of recycled plastic grants exceptional elasticity and foldability to their mats.
- This flexibility is to a point that you can directly pop your mat into a washing machine and make it look as hygienic and as new as ever- introducing one of our top antibacterial yoga mats.
- Basically Perfect Company uses derivatives from two distinct trees to create their non-toxic yoga mats; the elastic sap of rubber tree, combined with the weightless Quercus suber tree bark.
- They claim to offer the highest quality natural fiber yoga mat in the market for its durability, grip, and moisture resistance.
- They also mention the ingredients used in their product are merely derivatives instead of materials that require cutting trees.
- The crock is known as one of the grippiest components, with exceptional heat support which makes this mat extremely optional for hot yoga sessions.
- Additionally, they have improved the first-generation cork yoga mats that were prone to chipping surfaces by traction or nail contact.
- Being free from PVC and other chemical toxins and offering the distinct scent of crock that reminds one of a Christmas wine and soft smell of wood, perfect for tranquil breathing sessions and sentimental yoga practices.
- Standing among the user’s top choices of non-toxic yoga mats, the eKO Lite line of production is all about grip. In addition to being made from a hundred percent natural rubber, it features a dotted surface to enhance traction.
- The practice surface is designed with seamless perforations that contribute to non-slip and moisture support properties. The surface is also sealed with an extra thin layer of film to protect the mat from wear and tea and increase durability.
- It sits among the plush yoga mat, so if you are dealing with a bad knee, wanting to practice fall-prone poses, or wanting a yoga mat for a very young yogi, eKO lite is the go-for choice.
- As the name indicates, the company lives by climate-friendly, energy-efficient, and non-polluting principles.
- While using pure organic rubber and natural dyes to produce their creations, they preserve the rainforests by harvesting their ingredients from non-amazon trees.
- To increase the durability of their yoga mats, the company suggests avoiding washing the mat with chemical detergents and washing machines. Instead, they recommend Manduka’s Natural Rubber Mat Wash spray or liquid to wipe the mat.
- This cleaning method not only extends the lifetime of your mat but is also a non-toxic compound that contributes to your skin health when coming in contact with the mat’s surface.
- You may ask where are manduka mats made, the company is owned by an ardent yoga teacher, based in Germany.
- With a wide range of best yoga mats in the market to choose from, external appearance and mat’s design is not enough to provide a premium yoga experience and you need to look into natural fiber yoga mat editions.
- PVC and bargain-basement chemical material used in toxic yoga mats can create adverse effects on your health, some of which may be permanent.
- Try to select materials that are equally kind to your health and mother earth, such as jute, hemp, organic rubber, and cotton yoga mats.
- Choosing a naturally made yoga mat doesn’t mean less beautiful or functional, as demonstrated by the artful AIMERDAY Jute Yoga Mat series.
- Lastly, investing in non-latex yoga mats would pay you back in the long run. Any of the introduced mats in the above section are examined by our environmentally aware experts and yogis to guarantee a health-backed yoga experience.